At OMNESForum it is part of our mission to contribute to the growth of entrepreneurship and innovation within the Media and Entertainment industry in the MENA region. The OMNES PitchFest is OMNESForum’s program of business growth opportunities and experiences for entrepreneurs and small business owners within the media & entertainment industry.
The OMNES PitchFest is a unique opportunity for entrepreneurs with start-up, early stage and growth businesses to increase their profile in front of an international audience. Participating entrepreneurs will present their ventures and innovations to venture capitalists and angel investors interested in the media and entertainment industry, media and entertainment professionals, fellow entrepreneurs, and the wider startup community in a friendly competition.
By guiding entrepreneurs, inspiring would-be entrepreneurs, and cross- pollinating entrepreneurs, investors and media and entertainment professionals from different verticals, OMNESForum aims to be at the center of a media and entertainment startup ecosystem designed to transform brilliant ideas into successful commercial solutions.
What is OMNESMedia Pitchfest?
OMNESMedia Pitchfest is designed to help realize the potential and celebrate the success of MENA regional and global entrepreneurs and small businesses. The OMNESMedia Pitchfest provides a platform for you to pitch your business or idea to a live audience of media and entertainment professionals, investors and an expert panel of judges for the chance to win a share of US$15,000 in prizes and the opportunity to secure investment in your business or idea.
Is it difficult to enter?
It’s very easy to enter. The cost for entry is set at a nominal fee of US$400. The OMNESMedia Pitchfest is open to anyone.
Applications are open until Thursday 15 February 2018 via www.omnesforum.com :
(1) Fill out the application form online.
(2) Upload a profile photo of yourself.
(3) Upload your 2-minute video pitch that tells us about your great idea, why investors would be interested in financing your idea or business, and why you should win a share of $15,000 in prizes to take it further.
(4) Upload your idea, or concept, or business pitch deck presentation.
(5) Upload a 200-word bio about yourself and your story so far.
(6) All submissions must be in English.
What are the key dates?
Applications Close: 8:00 PM GMT Thursday 15 February 2018
Finalists Notified & Announced: Wednesday 28 February 2018 via the website (www.omnesforum.com)
Payment of Entry fees: Finalists must pay the entry fees of US$400.00 by bank transfer before 15 March 2018
Why should you enter?
It’s easy to enter, the entry fees are nominal, and your potential benefits are enormous! You will have the chance to meet and interact directly with industry leaders and professionals, investors, and identify possible matches to help your idea or concept or startup business move forward. You should ask yourself: why wouldn’t you enter?
What does The Media & Entertainment Forum involve?
Aside from the exciting live OMNESMedia Pitchfest where finalists pitch their business ideas to a judging panel of business leaders, investors and experts, The Media & Entertainment Forum includes keynote speeches, panel discussions, networking breaks with industry thought leaders and professionals, and investors.
OMNESMedia Pitchfest is open to anyone who has an interesting, exciting, viable and sustainable idea or concept or small business that falls within the media and entertainment space. OMNESMedia Pitchfest is endeavoring to be as inclusive as possible.
We encourage anyone who is unsure if their idea or concept or small business is eligible to check their eligibility with us. Please send us an email to email@example.com to check and clarify your eligibility.
Can I apply if I only have an idea or a concept which is not yet a business?
Absolutely! We want to hear about your ideas and concepts. If you’re selected as a finalist and you are pitching to the judges’ panel, you need to be prepared and have developed your idea or concept, and have prepared a pitch deck presentation that includes the proposed business model, target audience and markets, marketing, profitability, challenges and opportunities, and investment ask. When you’re developing your two-minute application pitch, apply the same thought process.
How do I film my pitch application?
You can use a video camera or if you don’t have access to one, use the video camera on your smart phone to film your 2-minute pitch.
What should my 2-minute pitch be all about?
You only have 2 minutes to sell us why you should be selected as a finalist. Our judging panel is looking for a clearly presented and articulated problem, a solution and how your business idea or concept or small business is going to address it, become a viable and sustainable business and grow. To perfect your 2-minute pitch, you need to rehearse, rehearse, and rehearse! For more details on the judging criteria, refer to the Judging Criteria Tab.
For more information on pitching presentations and pitch decks, you may refer to several resources online such as:
(1) Improve Presentation – What Is A Pitch Deck
(2) Improve Presentation – Best Pitch Decks
(4) The Mission – The Ultimate Cheat Sheet For Your Startup’s Investor Pitch Deck
What should my pitch deck presentation be all about?
If you need to raise funding from angel investors or VCs for your startup, the first step is to create a pitch deck. So, what’s a pitch deck? A pitch deck is a brief presentation (usually based on slides) that provides the audience with an overview of your idea or concept or small business. It is often created using PowerPoint or Keynote or Prezi. For the purpose of funding, it gives potential investors a brief idea of what your business idea or concept is about, the problem you are addressing, your proposed solution, who your target audience is, your target markets, your marketing approach, your proposed business model, the financial projections, your team, the required funding/investment, and other relevant information that will help convince investors to write you a check.
For more information on pitching presentations and pitch decks, you may refer to the online resources listed above.
What type of photo should I upload?
(1) First, don’t forget to smile!
(2) Your photo should have a clean or monotone background, and should be a headshot of just you
(3) Allow some space to crop on the sides of photo if required
What are my options if I’m not selected as a finalist?
Don’t give up and apply again in 2019. Until then, keep pursuing and refining your idea. Use the online resources and information above and identify alternative sources for funding and mentoring.
Can I get feedback on my application if I’m not selected?
Given the expected volume of applications, we are not able unfortunately to provide individual feedback for every applicant.
If I’m selected as a finalist, do I have to pay for my travel and accommodation expenses?
Yes. Finalists will cover their own travel and accommodation expenses to attend.
Download the Pitch Deck Presentation Guidelines
For more information on pitching presentations and pitch decks, you can download the Pitch Deck Presentation Guidelines document here.
Please complete details for your business plan. The information provided must cover each of the sections and must answer all of the sub-questions for it to be considered. We are not expecting a full business plan; this should be no more than four pages in total. We appreciate that different businesses will be at different stages.
If your business is not yet trading, don’t worry! Please complete the details with your proposed business activity and how you intend to operate. If you need to carry out further activities to answer a question, please say how you intend to conduct the activity.
We appreciate that financial details may be difficult to forecast when you are not yet trading but please complete with an anticipated financial forecast.
What are the judging criteria?
OMNESMedia Pitchfest applications and live event pitches will be judged on two (2) key areas: (1) The Pitch, and (2) The Business.
The Pitch criteria focus on how clearly and concisely you have demonstrated and articulated the problem and proposed solution.
The Business criteria focus on how well you have presented in your pitch your idea’s market traction, customer value proposition, business, commercial and financial models, the idea’s scalability, economic viability and sustainability.
Who are the judges and how did you select them?
The judges panel is available on the website. Each judge was selected for their experience and expertise as an international or regional business leader willing to share their own interesting stories and journey of success.
General Terms & Conditions
(1) OMNESMedia Pitchfest is a startup pitching competition run by OMNESForum, OMNESMedia, HITS Marketing DMCC, BASMA Media FZ-LLC (we, us or our) (Competition). It is an opportunity to pitch your media and entertainment industry idea or concept or small business, whether it be a business, service, product or any other idea, to a panel of judges in front of a live audience.
(2) The judges panel will award three (3) prizes, totaling US$15,000, corresponding to the first (US$ 7,000), second (US$ 5,000) and third (US$ 3,000) winners of the Pitchfest. The prizes are not transferable or exchangeable. If, for any reason, a winner does not take the prize at the time stipulated by us, then that prize will be forfeited.
(3) Entering the OMNESMedia Pitchfest does not guarantee that you will win a prize or derive any other benefit. The prizes are awarded at the judges’ panel sole discretion. We are not responsible in any way for the decisions, actions or conduct of the judges’ panel. Our decisions (and those of the judges) in respect of all aspects of the OMNESMedia Pitchfest are final.
(4) Individuals and groups may enter the OMNESMedia Pitchfest.
(5) To apply, you (and all members of your group, if applicable) must submit by Thursday 15 March 2018 via the website www.omnesforum.com:
(a) A fully completed application form (to be accessed through the Website www.omnesforum.com). If you are under 18 years of age, you must ensure your parent, or a guardian signs the application form;
(b) A one-minute video pitch that tells us about your idea or concept or small business, and why you should win a share of the prizes;
(c) A pitch deck presentation including a brief business plan;
(d) A 200-word bio about yourself and your journey so far; and
(e) A profile picture of yourself,
(f) Together, (a), (b), (c), (d), and (e) above are considered an Application. We are not liable for late, lost, misdirected, incomplete or incorrectly submitted Applications. Incomplete Applications will not be considered. The deadline for submitting Applications will not be extended for any applicant.
(6) By submitting an Application, you:
(a) agree to be bound by all of these terms and conditions;
(b) agree that we may, at our absolute discretion, select you to participate in the OMNESMedia Pitchfest final (Final);
(c) if you are selected to participate in the OMNESMedia Pitchfest final, you agree to make yourself available from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm on the 1st and 2nd of May 2018 and at the OMNESForum’s venue set out on the Website, to pitch your idea and participate in media interviews and photographs;
(d) agree to provide proof of identity and proof of age upon request. Identification considered suitable for verification is at our discretion.
(7) We may, at our sole discretion, refuse or exclude your Application, at any time before the running of the OMNESMedia Pitchfest.
(8) If you are selected to participate in the OMNESMedia Pitchfest (the Event), you must personally meet and be responsible fully for all your costs of attending the Event and pitching your idea, including but not limited to the cost of your flights and/or transportation to and from the Event, and your accommodation at the location of the Event. We do not provide financial assistance or reimbursement of costs and expenses.
(9) If any aspect of the OMNESMedia Pitchfest is not capable of running as planned because of any cause beyond our control, we may in our sole discretion cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the OMNESMedia Pitchfest.
(10) We may disqualify you from the OMNESMedia Pitchfest:
(a) if you breach these terms and conditions;
(b) if you breach any applicable law;
(c) if you are party to any act or thing act or thing prejudicial to our goodwill, commercial reputation or overall public image.
Intellectual Property and Disclosure
(11) Intellectual Property and Disclosure – You warrant that:
(a) the ideas that you present in connection with the OMNESMedia Pitchfest, including in your Application are your original work and not copied or adapted from any third party or source
(b) you own all rights (including intellectual property rights) in any idea submitted by you into the OMNESMedia Pitchfest;
(c) your use of ideas or information in relation to the OMNESMedia Pitchfest does not infringe any third party intellectual property rights; and
(d) your pitch does not include any content that contravenes any law, infringes the rights of any third party or is otherwise objectionable or inappropriate
(12) In relation to your own intellectual property rights, or intellectual property rights of others that you use with consent in relation to the OMNESMedia Pitchfest, you acknowledge that by disclosing information in the OMNESMedia Pitchfest you waive any right of confidence in relation to that information and expressly authorize us, our employees and agents, the judges’ panel, and other persons involved with the OMNESMedia Pitchfest to disclose the information in any way whatsoever and to use the information in any way for the purposes of or related to the OMNESMedia Pitchfest.
(13) We recommend that you do not disclose information in relation to the OMNESMedia Pitchfest that would or might affect your capacity to protect and / or exploit intellectual property rights in the future by registration of rights or any other way.
(14) We recommend that you seek legal advice in relation to intellectual property. You acknowledge that you have had the opportunity to do so.
(15) You expressly authorize us to use the information you provide including your name for the purpose of the OMNESMedia Pitchfest including promoting the OMNESMedia Pitchfest and related activities conducted after conclusion of the OMNESMedia Pitchfest.
Release and Waiver
(16) You agree to provide us with photographs or films, allow us to take photographs, films, sound recordings or any other digital recording of you, or participate in follow-up and promotional activities surrounding the OMNESMedia Pitchfest (the Media Materials), free of charge, in order to prepare promotional or other material for the purpose of or related to the OMNESMedia Pitchfest. You agree that copyright in the Media Materials is ours, and you consent to us using the Media Materials, your names, images and associated items in any of our publications, promotional material or for other commercial purposes. You will not be able to review the Media Materials before they are used.
(17) You give us unrestricted and irrevocable right to:
(a) use, publish, broadcast, exhibit or distribute the Media Materials or reproductions or adaptations or modifications thereof in all forms and media including print and internet including social media for marketing, advertising or any lawful purpose for or related to the OMNESMedia Pitchfest; and,
(b) provide the Media Materials to our subsidiaries, affiliates, sponsors, speakers, and any third party entities. You will not be advised of the specific entity provided with the Media Materials before they are used.
(18) You release us from any and all claims, actions, demands, suits, liabilities, damages, expenses and obligations of any kind arising from or related to our use of the Media Materials.
Limitation of Liability and Indemnity
(19) Without excluding, restricting or modifying the rights and remedies to which you may be entitled under the Emirate of Dubai and United Arab Emirates applicable laws or our liabilities under those provisions:
(a) we are not liable to you for any cost incurred or loss or liability you suffer in any way in relation to the Competition. This includes personal injury and property damage.
(b) you acknowledge that the details of the OMNESMedia Pitchfest are set out on the Website and are subject to changes we make in our sole discretion with or without notice to you and that we do not make any warranty or representation as to:
(i) the suitability of the OMNESMedia Pitchfest to your circumstances;
(ii) the suitability of judges;
(iii) your prospects of winning a prize;
(iv) the effect of the OMNESMedia Pitchfest on you or your idea; or
(v) any other thing related to the OMNESMedia Pitchfest.
(c) we exclude all other implied terms and warranties, whether statutory or otherwise, relating to the OMNESMedia Pitchfest and the subject matter of our agreement with you.
(d) we will not be liable to you for indirect or consequential loss arising from or connected to our agreement with you in contract, tort, under any statute or otherwise (including, without limitation, for loss of revenue, loss of profits, failure to realize expected profits or savings, loss of intellectual property, breach of confidence or any other commercial or economic loss of any kind).
(e) our liability to you for loss or damage of any kind arising out of our agreement with you or in connection with the relationship established by it is reduced to the extent (if any) that you cause or contribute to the loss or damage. This reduction applies whether our liability is in contract, tort (including negligence), under any statute or otherwise.
(20) You indemnify us in relation to any loss caused by:
(a) a breach by you of these terms and conditions; or
(b) any action by a third party in relation to your use of intellectual property in relation to the Competition.
(21) A party’s failure or delay to exercise a power or right does not operate as a waiver of that power or right.
(22) You acknowledge that you have not relied on any warranty or representation other than those found in these terms and conditions.
(23) If any part of these terms and conditions is invalid or unenforceable, this agreement does not include it. The remainder of the terms and conditions continue in full force.